Lemon and Herb Sole en Papillote
Makes 4 servings
8 small sole fillets or 4 large fillets (for a total of about 1 pound)
Ground black pepper
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup chicken or vegetable broth
8 teaspoons capers
4 sprigs parsley sprigs
4 sprigs dill
1-2 lemons, thinly sliced into 8 rounds
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Pat the fish dry with a paper towel and place on a sheet tray. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, and broth.
4. Place one fillet in the middle large square of parchment paper so that the fish sits diagonally on the square. (Or if the fillets are smaller, place two fillets staggered on top of one another.) Spoon a quarter of the marinade and 2 teaspoons capers over the fillet. Top each fillet with two lemon rounds, a sprig of parsley, and a sprig of dill. Fold the parchment paper over the fish and tightly fold around the edges, creating a half-moon shape. Crimp and fold in ½ inch folds, or so, working your way around the fish.
5. Place the packets on two baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake 8-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
6. To serve open the packets and transfer fish and its juices to a plate using a spatula.