Make 4 Servings
1 cup green lentils
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon tomato paste
½ cup fresh parsley leaves
Ground black pepper
1. Prepare lentils according to package directions and allow to cool slightly.
2. Make flax egg by whisking ground flax with 3 tablespoons warm water and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375F.
4. Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add oil. Add onion and pinch of salt, and cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and Italian seasoning and sauté 1 minute more before removing from heat.
5. Place sunflower seeds in the bowl of a food processor and process until a coarse meal forms. Add onion mixture, cooked lentils, flax egg, tomato paste, parsley, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Process until just combined.
6. Form into 1 inch balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, or until just browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.