Kale and Shiitake Mushroom Frittata
Makes 5-6 servings
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large leek, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bunches lacinato kale, de-stemmed and chopped into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups total)
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 dozen eggs
½ cup unsweetened, plain almond milk
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 avocado, sliced for topping
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
2. Heat olive oil in a 10-inch oven-safe non-stick or cast iron pan. Add leek and a pinch of sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until leeks are tender. Add garlic and thyme and cook 30 more seconds. Add kale and mushrooms, along with a small pinch of salt, and cook until wilted and tender. Turn off heat.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, ½ teaspoon sea salt, and ground pepper.
4. Place pan over low flame and pour egg mixture over vegetables. When the eggs have just begun to set around the edges, transfer to the pre-heated oven.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
6. Can be eaten hot or at room temperature. Serve with sliced avocado.