Fried Brown Rice with Vegetables
Makes 4 servings
1 cup brown rice
Olive oil or coconut oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece ginger, grated
Pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper (optional)
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups snow peas, ends trimmed
2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
4 eggs, whisked
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1. Cook brown rice according to package instructions. Cool in refrigerator.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pot.
3. Add the onions and scallions along with a pinch of salt, and cook until soft.
4. Add the garlic, ginger, and optional red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper and stir until fragrant.
5. Add the carrots, bell pepper, snow peas, and cabbage, along with another pinch of salt, and stir-fry until vegetables are tender. Add a tablespoon or two of water if needed while vegetables are cooking. Add the peas and stir to combine.
6. In a non-stick pan, lightly scramble the eggs. Transfer to a cutting board and chop into small pieces.
7. With the pot over medium-low heat, add scrambled eggs, brown rice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and toasted sesame oil. Continue to cook until rice is heated. Add additional soy sauce to taste if desired.