Coconut Rice Pudding with Blueberry Compote
Makes 6 servings
1 cup Aborio rice
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups water
2 cups unsweetened, plain almond milk, divided
1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Combine rice, salt, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Drain the rice and set aside.
2. In the same pot you used to cook the rice, add 1 cup of the almond milk, the coconut milk, maple syrup, and spices. Bring to a boil. Add the rice back in, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently. When rice is very tender and starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, stir in the remaining cup of almond milk. (The pudding will thicken as it cools.
3. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and vanilla.
4. Top with compote before serving.
2 cups frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of a watery syrup (about 15 minutes).