Beef Stew with Carrots and Potatoes
Makes 6-8 servings
2 lbs grass-fed chuck, cut into 1 ½ cubes
1 yellow onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
4 Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 2 inch cubes
1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Season the meat liberally with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large enamel cast iron pot. Place half the beef in the pot and brown on all sides, cooking meat for a total of about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining beef, adding additional oil if necessary. Set meat aside.
4. Without cleaning out the pot, add the onion and garlic along with a generous pinch of salt. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add the thyme and oregano.
5. Add the balsamic vinegar, crushed tomatoes, and beef broth, stirring to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Add back the beef and its juices. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and transfer to the oven, braising for 2 hours.
6. Add the carrots and potatoes. Cook another hour.
7. Season to taste, adding additional balsamic vinegar, salt, and ground pepper if desired.