Salmon Rice Bowl with Turmeric Ginger Tahini Sauce
Makes 4 servings
1 pound wild salmon, patted dry
Juice of 1 lemon
Ground black pepper
1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
1 bunch broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into florets
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 cup lacto-fermented, unpasteurized sauerkraut
Turmeric Ginger Tahini Sauce
½ cup tahini
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup water
1 inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place salmon in a glass or ceramic baking dish. In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Pour over salmon and turn to coat the fish on all sides. Set aside to marinate.
3. In a small pot, combine the brown rice 1 ¾ cup water, ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and steam covered an additional 30 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
4. Meanwhile, roast the broccoli and cauliflower. In a large bowl, toss vegetables with 3 tablespoons olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Spread out onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Transfer to oven and roast 25-30 minutes, until slightly browned and tender.
5. When 15 minutes are left on the timer, put the fish in the oven as well and cook until it easily flakes when prodded with a fork.
6. Finally, make the sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in a blender and processing on high speed until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust salt and lemon to taste.
7.Serve rice, roasted vegetables and baked salmon topped with turmeric ginger tahini sauce. Add ¼ cup sauerkraut to each bowl for some extra tanginess and some probiotics.